Monday 13 July 2015

'Data Mining with Weka' available as self-paced course

Welcome to "Data Mining with Weka".


Unlike previous sessions the course is now being offered on a self-paced basis. All the material, activities and assessments are available now until 23rd October 2015 at:




We are not providing any tutorial, help or assistance during this session. Also, we will not generate any Statements of Completion until after 23rd October.


The course includes the following resources:

  •  the Weka software; Lesson 1.2 gives downloading instructions (we are using version 3.6.11)
  •  videos, one per lesson, on YouTube
  •  the videos include captions (English and Chinese), which can be turned on in YouTube
  •  slides used in the videos (PDF format)
  •  text files containing transcripts of the videos
  •  activities that follow each lesson
  •  access to selected excerpts from Data Mining (3rd Edition) - plus you can buy a discounted copy from the publisher
  •  announcement forumblogtwitter feed (available from the course website)


for Chinese participants:

  •  videos on Youku
    • one version with captions in Chinese (another with English captions is available on our Youku channel)

Some notes for participants:

  • work through the videos and activities at your own pace, in your own time
  • please subscribe to the announcement forum if you haven't already done so: this is the best way to stay up-to-date with the course (click on Membership and email settings to subscribe)
  • only the mid-course and final assessments count towards the Statement of Completion
  •  feel free to install Weka in advance, but please ensure that you have version 3.6.11
  •  if you already know something about Weka, feel free to skip the first class (or two)
  •  during the videos, it may help to follow with Weka on your own computer ("click along with Ian")
  •  the course should take 2–3 hours/week (3–4 hours if you do the optional reading)
  • you can download the materials from http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka/mooc/dataminingwithweka/

 Please help us by filling out the pre-course survey if you have not already done so.


Ian & the WekaMOOC team






PS
any previous students who wish to volunteer as Community Teaching Assistants for this session are also welcome:
http://wekamooc.blogspot.co.nz/2014/06/volunteer-community-teaching-assistants.html

7 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Thank you for sharing this course. For what I have seen it is very interesting. I have found all the pdf's and downloaded all the youtube videos. However, I cannot find the activities which must be done at the end of every lesson. I understand that these should be available till the end of this course, october 23rd.

    Can you provide me with a link to these activities.

    Thank you very much.

    Erik Wesseling
    erwess@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to be registered into the course to access the activities and assessment.

    https://weka.waikato.ac.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, thx for your response.
    Ik thought I had registered myself. Let me look into this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    I understand that you are not providing any help - but your site: https://weka.waikato.ac.nz/ appears to have been off line for several days. I had got up to week 3 by the end of September and had to take a break for a while. When I came back the site wasn't there. Will it be re-instated at some point soon?

    Thanks,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering when will the Statements of completion be available?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    I was a participant in your self-paced course and completed it with great interesest, so first and foremost, thanks for the work of putting together such a great introduction to Data Mining!
    After finishing the course in mid October I was aware that I would have to wait some time until my Statement of completion would arive, but as I hadn't gotten any notice until now, I began to wonder if there had been a problem.
    Sure enough I now noticed that the mid-course assessment was evaluated with 0 points, which now puts me on 67 points and out of consideration for a Statement of completion. I can assure you that I finished all of the tasks an submitted them in time, proof of this should be the post-course assessment which was saved an evaluated correctly.
    This is why I'm now trying to get in contact with you, to try and sort this out, because such a Statement of completion would mean a lot to me and as someone who spent put his time and effort into this course I believe i have earned it.
    I hope I chose the right adress for this matter and that someone will be able to help.

    With best regards
    Gabriel H

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.